My Blog List

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Helen in cahoots with Agamemnon

Helen, the wife of Menelaus, leaves her husband and runs off to Troy with her lover Prince Paris of Troy. The Greek armies, lead by Menelaus' brother Agamemnon invade Troy. It is interesting to me that Helen's husband doesn't seem hell be
nt on invading Troy. However, Agamemnon is willing to sacrifice his own daughter to please the Goddess Artemis in return for favorable winds. As I was reading, it struck me that Helen's betrayal (or abduction) was the perfect excuse that Agamemnon needed to invade Troy. Of course, I am sure that expanding the empire was the real goal of Agamemnon. Historians and literary critics have argued for centuries over whether Helen was a harlot who ran off with another man, a victim who was kidnapped off to Troy, or just a woman in love with a man who was not her husband. However, I hadn't yet heard the theory that maybe she ran off to Troy with the consent of her brother-in-law for the sole purpose of providing the Greeks with the excuse that they needed to attack Troy. Also, (Spoiler Alert!!) the fact that at the end of the story, she re-unites with her husband as though nothing had ever happened, makes me suspicious that she was always loyal to Greece. Now, one could argue that if Helen was still loyal to Greece why didn't she open the gates of Troy thereby forgoing the 
need for the Trojan Horse. My response to that would be that as a woman, and especially as a royal, she was probably secluded in the palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment