My Blog List

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mushrooms After Rain

For anyone who either lives in Southwest Florida or has been following the weather news, you may know that it had been raining here - a lot.  As in Tropical Storm Debby has meant days of rain and more rain.  For Seneca, this meant go outside and get soaked!  I assure you we are in a safe area and the times when she was playing outside, there were no high gusts of wind.  The gusts of wind did occur during these days, but not at the specific moments when she was outside.
     Yesterday the raining here had stopped and we could see its effects on our neighbor's lawn - mushrooms!  Seneca has recently been quite enthralled by mushrooms after learning that gnomes live in mushrooms.  So, for her, a great kingdom had just sprouted!  She went and got one rather large mushroom with a very round and smooth top, not like the typical mushroom we often think of.
  We spent some time exploring this mushroom of hers.  She compared the different textures  on it. Then, she held it up and said, "It's the sun!"  We also figured out that it could be a wheel, a gnome's home, or a table.  She then washed her hands thoroughly after so much mushroom touching.
       From there, I decided to tell her the story of The Three Billy Goats Gruff.  Now, I had pretty much remembered the story, but I was really second guessing myself on my memory of it.  I decided I had better look it up on the internet.  Fortunately, I found a site which re-told the Norwegian folktale.  It was a good thing because I had forgotten the nuances like the "trip-trap, trip-trap" each goat makes as he crosses the bridge.  I re-told her the story before bedtime as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment