My Blog List

Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Deadliest Warriors" on Spike TV

"Deadliest Warriors" on Spike TV
Crazy Horse vs Pancho Villa
Napoleon Bonaparte vs George Washington
US Army Rangers vs North Korean Special Ops
Joan of Arc vs William the Conqueror
Hannibal vs Genghis Khan - Liam saw this episode as unfair as Khan was hundreds of years later and had more advanced weaponry.
French Foreign Legions vs Gurkas
Ming Warriors vs Musketeers
Saddam Hussein vs Pol Pot
Spartans vs Ninjas
Persian Immortals vs The Celts
US Navy Seals vs Israeli Commandos

   Liam noticed the bias of the show and that the American, when an American is featured, always seems to win.  The show pits two historical figures against each other in battle.  Through a study of weapons of the time, injuries caused by said weapons, and knowledge of each historical person or group, a panel of experts determines who would have won.  The adversaries are pitted against each other in a computer simulation five thousand times.
  I am sure many people would object to the war nature of this series.  I belong to a congregation that helps young adults fill out Conscientious Objector forms and believes in non-military solutions.  Why then, would I not object to my son watching a program featuring confrontation and battles?  Well, my answer is that because my children have been raised in a family and congregation that teaches non-violence, they can easily watch programs that have violence in them and feel no need to absorb that violence into their soul.  They can easily distinguish that this is a simulation and it is NOT REAL.  I'm not trying to suggest that all other children raised in mainstream households cannot distinguish between real and fantasy. I am suggesting that since no glorification of violence of ANY kind is around my kids, then what they see on the screen remains on the screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment