My Blog List

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Unschooling Moments

  I am beginning to realize that the value unschooling is often grasping a concept.  Sometimes we can hear an idea, say yes, that sounds good in theory, then move on.  Today was one of the those days in which I was able to allow the concept, or the theory, of unschooling work for our benefit.  Now, to be clear, this was not a total unschool day.  Liam did take notes on the Magna Carta from off our new chalkboard.  We did discuss the connection from the Magna Carta to the Mayflower Compact to the US Constitution.
   However, afterwards Liam had a complete a total unschooling day and it was perfect. He knew what he needed and he pursued hit.  Liam is, generally speaking, not an artist.  For that matter, neither is anyone in our family.  However, Liam spent the day sketching.  Mostly, they were simplistic projects, but he approached each sketch with reverence.  My son usually resists doing anything artistic.  But this was all his doing, under his own guidance.  He even had fun!  We all know the value of creativity and art, so I won't write on that subject.  My point is that I did not stress out that we weren't working on more academic work or that it was taking too long.  I was able to just let him BE and I was able to BE OKAY with that.
     As for Seneca, our day was filled with play dough, phonics books curled up together on my bed, suncatcher painting, and she was a great helper around the house.  She got to use a sponge and soap to help wash the doors.  She also played "Memory" card game.  Yesterday, it was imaginative play with stuffed animals and puzzle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment