My Blog List

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Homemade Detergent and Shampoo

 One of the things that I try to do for the family is to encourage a more holistic lifestyle. I don't always succeed.  However, I will consider last night a small victory.  A new batch of laundry detergent was made.  Seneca and her friend had their hair washed with homemade shampoo and conditioner. Now if I can just get around to buying and setting up a clothes line..............
  Laundry Detergent Recipe
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm and Hammer washing soda
1 bar of grated Kirk's Castille Soap
   We made a batch of powdered soap this time around.  I'm still working on perfecting the art of homemade liquid detergent. For one thing, I need a 5-gallon bucket.

Shampoo
2 tbs baking soda
2 cups of water
  The actual recipe is 1 tbs of baking soda to 1 cup of water, but I feel that doubling the recipe is more effective. Of course, you can adjust this based on the length and volume of your, or your child's, hair.

Conditioner
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
  I like to keep the water for both and shampoo and conditioner very warm, but not hot.  Regular temperature water goes on the head feeling very cold.  Just be very careful, especially with kids, to test the temperature of the warm water before applying it.

     I haven't been successful in making dish detergent, so we will continue to use Seventh Generation Dish Detergent available in our supermarket. Yes, our corporate owned supermarket. I said I was trying friends, not always succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment