My Blog List

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Math Art and Strawberry Picking


I took Liam and his friend to a Math Art day offered by the education majors at USF in Sarasota.  The idea was to get kids interested in math by letting them have fun it.  The other side of it was it was done to help show teachers in training fun ways to engage kids in math.  The event was advertized as being for 5th and 6th graders.
  As we were leaving the house, Liam was complaining about going. "I don't math and I don't like art. What makes you think I'm going to like this thing?"  Yet, wise Mama had already invited one of Liam's friends to go with us. So, I told him we had to go pick up his friend as he was waiting for us.  This way, Liam couldn't back out of it.
     Shortly after arriving and beginning the projects, both boys were enthusiastically going from table to table. I should clarify here that Liam's friend was excited to be going the whole time.  By the end of it, Liam said it was a lot of fun.
     At one of the tables, I was speaking to the young lady who was running that activity, and she said that she was interested in homeschooling her kids whenever she has them.  I know that many people in the education field oppose homeschooling. (And yes, I know that many former teachers do homeschool.) In fact, the reason I found about the event was through a local homeschool group.
   After the Math Art day, I picked up my daughters and we all went to pick strawberries at Eden Farms in Bradenton.  We had found out about Eden Farms through another homeschooling group.  There was no group event there that day, just us going as a family.  Our day ended at a local park after the strawberry farm.  Liam's friend took home some strawberries as did my kids.  I was going to make jam the next day only to discover that everyone had eaten all of the strawberries. :)  Oh well, we picked them to eat them.  Add to that they are organic and I am told, delicious!  Personally,  I don't like strawberries.
     I'm glad that my oldest daughter, 8th grade, was able to come with us to the strawberry farm.  She is not being homeschooled this year, hence "public school" in my blog address. I try to find events and things to do on Saturdays, so that we can include her in many of our homeschool "adventures."

No comments:

Post a Comment