My Blog List

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Public School Praise

  As I was driving my oldest daughter to school today, she commented on the ridiculousness of the Tea Party.  In specific, she finds it almost amusing at how much the Tea Party claims to speak for the Constitution.  "Have they even read the Constitution?  I read it.  I had to read it in school. I did a whole project on it."   Now this is great public schooling. She actually studied and read the Constitution as part of her eighth grade American History class.  She also pointed out that the US Constitution is based on other countries' constitutions. It was not this lone American idea as the Tea Party would have you believe.  (Now, I will insert here to credit our homeschooling program from 7th grade which showed the linear connection from the Magna Carta to the Mayflower Compact to the US Constitution. I know that there were other influences as well. This list is not meant to be exhaustive, just to illustrate a point.)
 I love hearing about what she is learning in school.  I do feel that this school is better able to equip her with knowledge about math and science than I am.  Again, it is about finding the strengths and positives in different educational paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment