My Blog List

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Unplugging Or Least Trying To

After reading many blogs and articles on Waldorf education, I am trying to raise Seneca as less plugged in as possible.  I am not saying no tv or computers at all, but I make a conscious effort to provide non-electronic activities for her.  With my older children, we did have tv, but got rid of cable about ten years ago.  They were never plugged-in like most mainstream kids. I do allow my son to have video games, but the system is used and his games are all bought used.  My older children do watch tv, but much of what they watch are classic movies or historical fiction films.  When it comes to tv, I don't forbid, but I also don't offer.  (Unless, there is a special event or if the movie is educational.)
     Examples of movies/shows/miniseries that entertain while educating that my twelve and thirteen year old enjoy and appreciate are The Blue and The Gray, North and South, Iron Jawed Angels, Flyboys, Gettysburg, The Help, and more.  We also enjoy classic movies such as The Thin Man and Casablanca.
   For Seneca, at this age, I am trying to limit screen time.  She does enjoy Disney classics.  I do allow wholesome shows that many kids today sadly consider to be too corny.  I love that she loves to watch Annie (1982) and Sleeping Beauty.  It is important for her to be able to enjoy these movies while she is still young and the magic is still real for her.
  I think that today has been a great day for our non-electronic life.  Seneca and I played with playdough until her friend Lilly arrived at our house. The girls played with play dough together.   They then looked through books on the shelf and chose one out for me to read to them.  The girls painted with homemade paint, condensed milk and food coloring.  Their color today was red.
  For snack time, the girls ate lettuce with honey on it and strawberries.  The lettuce and strawberries were from the local farm that Seneca visited yesterday.  She picked the strawberries herself.
The girls swung from tree branches and ran around in the back yard.  They entertained themselves this whole day with no need for tv or other electronic devices.  The girls later went swimming at a pool.
  That evening, I took Seneca and Lilly to visit my grandma.  Grandma B is 92 years old and still lives alone!  The girls played with vintage cars that were my dad's when he was a little boy.  Then the girls played with a dollhouse.  Seneca loves visiting her great-grandma.
        Seneca told Grandma B about going to the strawberry farm and petting the goat and the pony.My grandma told Seneca that her family had a goat when she was a little girl.  My grandma had a sister with a lot of health concerns and it was felt that goat's milk would be better for her.  
         There is an education website which Seneca does enjoy very much. It is called Starfall. http://www.starfall.com/  I am very leery about learning being done on a computer and having a computer read to my child. I can certainly read to my child.  However, she does love the phonics and math games and does rather well with them.  I do, therefore, allow her to play on starfall, but I be sure to offer many other activities to balance out time spent on the computer.  My friend, Heather, once posted a link to an article which suggested that for every hour of electronic time, a person should spend an equal amount of time doing some sort of physical/outdoor activity.  Sometimes, my outdoor time is actually me watching the kids play at the park, but I'm going count it. :)
  As you can see, I have my ideals. I don't always meet them, but I'm going to keep making my effort.
  Yesterday, Liam and Yasmeen went to Emerson Point Preserve.  Our friend, Lisa from our house of worship, picked them up as I was working yesterday.  I'm glad that they were able to spend time with friends from church.  Liam said that they must have walked about three miles.  http://www.mymanatee.org/home/government/departments/natural-resources/resource-management/emerson-point.html

No comments:

Post a Comment